9.09.2008

Split between two worlds

When I woke this morning I knew it was going to be a good day. Claire was asleep and I was able to spend a few extra minutes in bed listening to the rain as it clinked in the gutters. Once we got up we were off to the Abbey to have tea with friends, the perfect drippy morning activity. As we walked in Jeff Buckley was belting out "Hallelujah" through the speakers and I smiled as I thought about what a perfect song that was for that moment. The rest of the day went well. Claire napped and had a great PT session, I got lots of calls made and bills paid. Since I had a babysitter for the late part of the afternoon I thought that I would go to the nail place and get shined up for our trip back to Arizona. It has been a year and a half since I have embarked on an adventure like this. It was surreal. I decided that since I was there and this doesn't happen often I would get both a manicure and a pedicure. I was a little surprised that I was able to accomplish both tasks at once, something that I never would have dreamed of. It made me start thinking about the whole interaction. It seems that there is a large demand for people to be rushed through their relaxation. I thought that maybe the girls were just trying to get me done so that they could be ready for the next person. Then I listened to the people around me. One lady said to make sure to put the rhinestones on her toes and three minutes later told the man to never mind, she didn't have time for it. Another lady sat and chatted on her phone bragging about how she was leisurely enjoying her time at the salon, although she had just rushed in and told the people that she needed everything done quickly because she was already running late. How sad that our culture is such that people want their nails painted but can't wait for it to dry. I think that in the future I will stick to tea at the Abbey and steer clear of the salon. Now I have to go get this stuff off my fingers, it's creepy looking.

No comments: