8.10.2010

This is huge!!!

It will be three years in October since we have officially been in the Rett family. I remember the permanence of the diagnosis really hitting hard. Up until that moment, I really thought that she was going to catch up, she was slow, but not disabled for life slow. I was telling a close friend about the news and somehow the topic of travel came up. At that moment, it really felt like I was never going to be able to go anywhere without Claire and honestly it wasn't much fun to go places with her. I was the only person on the planet who could read her. At the time Jared could handle her for a an hour at home and we had a babysitter who could sit here while she slept, but that was it. I felt like my dreams of traveling to Europe to see art that I had studied would certainly never come true now. Really it didn't seem to matter that much, when you think that your kid is going to die, giving up a life of travel isn't a big deal. I am just starting to realize that the day that we got the diagnosis was really the death of a lot of dreams, dreams I didn't even know I had. It has been a very long 34 months and it has flown by. Claire has taught me so many things, there is so much that I didn't know I needed to learn, a true eye opening experience. Fast forward to today, not only am I not the only person on the planet who can keep her alive, she is loved by so many and thrives when I am not around. As I sit and type this I am so giddy and excited for the upcoming weekend. In 60 hours I will be in another state, not because I need to see a surgeon or because my mom is ill. I am going to Vegas because I can! I will be joining up with 9 of the most amazing moms that the planet has ever seen. It will be epic, there is no doubt about it. For me, even bigger than all the fun and community I will get to have, it's a dream. If I can leave Jared home alone for two night with both girls, that pretty much opens the door back up to anything that I can think up. Who knows, maybe in 15 years I will be blogging about the stress of packing for our trip to Italy and wondering what to put on Claire's ipod for the flight.

1 comment:

The MacDonald Family said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree! Can't wait to see you everyone on Friday!!! I don't think any of us are going to stop talking for a second.